Favorite Dude Ranch Desserts
Move over campfire s'mores and simple scout camp recipes that your grandparents taught you, these promising dude ranch dessert recipes are sure to knock your socks off! We have compiled a list of dude ranch dessert favorites from four dude ranches across the United States and can't wait to see which one you like best.
The tradition of great cowboy cooking and how ranchers continue that tradition at dude ranch vacations is one of the big draws for visiting these majestic destinations across the country. The real pleasure lies in tasting - and making -- these delicious dude ranch food recipes.
Medicine Bow Mud Pie from Medicine Bow Lodge
Relax, rejuvenate, and reconnect with loved ones at the Medicine Bow Lodge. 22 miles from Saratoga, Wyoming, in the Medicine Bow National Forest, sits this 100-year-old Ranch. The Medicine Bow Lodge is rustic with a touch of elegance.
Activities at this all inclusive resort include horseback riding, fishing, hiking, rock collecting, cooking lessons, archery, animal tracking, campfires with s'mores, star gazing, dancing, crafts, shopping, and birding. Tim and Deborah Bishop have created an experience that is perfect for beginners and expert riders.
Here is a heavenly frozen dude ranch dessert recipe Medicine Bow Lodge has shared that will compliment any meal. Bonus, it makes a wonderful presentation with the distinct layers.
- 2 packages of chocolate wafers
- 1/2 gallon of coffee ice cream
- 1/2-3/4 cup of melted butter
- 2 jars of marshmallow cream
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 cups whipped cream
- 8-10 oz. chocolate chips (melted)
- Chocolate shavings
- Crush the chocolate wafers in a food processor and add the melted butter. Spread the crumbs in a baking pan. Bake in a 350° degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Spread ice cream carefully onto crust. Freeze 1 1/2 -2 hours or until solid. (The ice cream will spread easily when you let it thaw a little)
- Whip the heavy cream until light and fluffy. Add the marshmallow cream to the whipped cream.
- Place marshmallow cream mixture gently and quickly on top of ice cream layer.
- Place covered back in freezer.
- Pour melted chocolate over frozen dessert and spread gently to cover completely.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to freeze completely.
- Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy.
3 Favorite Dude Ranch Desserts from Elk Mountain Ranch
The Elk Mountain Ranch is in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, within the San Isabel National Forest, two hours from Denver and Colorado Springs, Colorado. The Ranch has a 30 guest maximum, allowing for a more intimate experience.
Enjoy your one week, all inclusive adventure with an array of activities including horseback riding, whitewater rafting, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, square-dancing, hayrides, campfires, and playing backgammon. Tom and Sue Murphy tailor visits based on their guests' needs and interests. Read on for their shared three decadent and impressive dude ranch desserts to make at home for your own family and friends.
Strawberry Shortcake from Elk Mountain Ranch
Ingredients for shortcakes:
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Directions for shortcakes:
- Gradually add sugar to butter, beating at high speed about 6 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition.
- Gradually add flour, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- Pour batter into floured and greased sheet pan.
- Bake in 325° oven for 25-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Should just be lightly golden.
- Cut into hearts with cookie cutters.
- Use for strawberry shortcake with sweetened sliced strawberries (1/4 cup sugar added to 6 cups sliced strawberries).
- Add homemade whipped topping.
Whip heavy whipping cream (1 qt.) with sugar (1/2 cup) and vanilla (1 tsp.) and almond extract (1 tsp). Whip to desired consistency. Whip too long and you will soon get butter!
Denver Cheesecake from Elk Mountain Ranch
Ingredients for batter:
- 2 1/2 pounds cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon peel-grated
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Ingredients for crust:
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Beat cream cheese.
- Add sugar, flour, salt, lemon peel, and vanilla.
- Then add cream and set aside.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. Divide in 1/2 and press mixture into greased spring.form pan.
- Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cream mixture in each pan.
- Cover pans with aluminum foil. Place pans in a water bath and bake at 500° for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 200° and bake for 70-80 more minutes (until firm).
- Remove foil and cover each pan with a metal bowl until cool.
- Place in walk in and cut when chilled. (Can be baked a day ahead.)
Oreo Ice Cream from Elk Mountain Ranch
- 7 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 – 13 oz. cans evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Pour into ice cream maker.
- Surround ice cream maker with ice and rock salt.
- Churn until thick.
- Pour into a storage container.
- Thoroughly add in crushed Oreo cookies.
2 Favorite Dude Ranch Desserts from Vista Verde Ranch
Take a Luxury Colorado Ranch Vacation at the Vista Verde Ranch north of Steamboat Springs, Colorado in the Rocky Mountains. Enjoy AAA Four Diamond amenities plus Western hospitality at this all inclusive Ranch.
Activities and amenities include an indoor riding area, kids cabin, swimming pool, fitness center, fishing, hiking, rock climbing, yoga, paddle boarding, massages, white water rafting, cooking class, hot air ballooning, skiing, snow tubing, sleigh riding, and private hot tubs. Vista Verde Ranch offers designated times throughout the year for adults only.
Laura and Chris Jones make sure their guests have plenty to do no matter what time of year they visit! And with their two favorite dude ranch desserts, you can create a little dude ranch heaven at home.
Applesauce Gingerbread Cake from Vista Verde Ranch
This dude ranch dessert is perfect for cold weather, a warm fire, and a cozy evening. You can make the full dessert, or just enjoy the cake by itself!
Ingredients for cake:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup warm milk
Directions for cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cream together butter and sugar in stand mixer.
- Beat in eggs, applesauce, and molasses.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Slowly add to wet mixture.
- Mix in warmed milk.
- Bake in greased and floured 9×9 pan.
Ingredients for toffee sauce:
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
Directions for toffee sauce:
- Combine sugar, butter, molasses, and corn syrup in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
- Meanwhile, heat cream in a separate saucepan.
- Add hot cream slowly to sugar mixture. Whisk continuously.
- Continue to cook, 3-5 minutes. Cool until slightly thickened. Serve.
Blueberry Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake from Vista Verde Ranch
(need 2-9" cast iron pans)
Ingredients for cake batter:
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pound butter, soft
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
Directions for cake:
- Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In the mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and sour cream and combine until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and combine until incorporated. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Ingredients for berries:
- 4 oz. butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 6 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- Melt half the butter in each of the cast iron pans, add the brown sugar and cook until it bubbles together.
- Divide the blueberries into each pan and remove from the stove. Top with half of the cornmeal batter and place on a sheet pan and then in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly for about 15 minutes, run a knife around the outer edge and invert the cake onto a cutting board for slicing. Top with vanilla whipped cream.
Alisal's Oatmeal Pie by Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort
The Alisal Guest Ranch and Resort is in the heart of Santa Barbara, California Wine Country, minutes from 75 renowned vineyards and wineries. The Resort offers a 100-acre spring-fed lake, two 18 hole championship golf courses, tennis courts, pools, and a spa nestled in California's Santa Ynez Valley.
Choose from several packages, all offering something different: Sip Saddle Spa, Horseback Riding, Golf Getaway, BBQ Bootcamp, Cycling and Spa, Meetings, and Bird Golf Academy. There is truly something for everyone at the Alisal Guest Ranch and Resort. Since this is Alisal's most requested recipe, we thought you would enjoy a copy for your personal cookbook.
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 1/4 cups oats
- 2 1/4 cups corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups melted butter
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups coconut
- 3 Tbsp. vanilla
- dash of salt
- 3 9" unbaked pie shells
- Place pie shells on cookie sheet.
- Mix all ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shells.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Makes 3 pies.
Old Fashioned Creme Brule from the Lone Mountain Ranch
The Lone Mountain Ranch sits in a small valley at the base of the mountains near Yellowstone National Park, in Big Sky, Montana. The Ranch has a 70 guest maximum, allowing for a variety of activities.
Enjoy your one week, all inclusive adventure with an array of activities including horseback riding, Yellowstone Excursions, hiking, fishing, yoga, and more. The Lone Mountain Ranch is open yearround, and offers sleigh rides, cross country skiing and winter activities. You're going to love their creme brule recipe.
- 2 quarts cream
- 14 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 oranges
- 3 ounces of Bourbon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Angostura Bitters
- 1 Brandied Cherry per serving
- Zest oranges into cream and heat to boiling. Allow to steep for 10 minutes off the heat.
- Combine sugar with egg yolks
- Strain cream into egg misture to temper
- Mix in bourbon and bitters
- Allow to cool before baking
- Place a cherry in each ramekin (small mason jar)
- Fill with the creme brulee base to just about 1/2" below top
- Place in a 2" pan with water bath.
- Cover with Foil and bake at 300 until done (45 minutes to 1 hour)
Author: Melody Pittman, whereverimayroamblog.com
Pin This Post For Later!